Table 4-3. Troubleshooting Chart (Continued)
TEST OR INSPECTION
ENGINE DOES NOT TURN OVER (Continued)
(5) If there is dirt on the top of battery, brush it off.
(6) If cable insulation is frayed or broken, replace the cable and go to step 2c.
(7) If there are cracks in battery sides or cover, replace it and go to step 2c.
Figure 4-41. Specific Gravity Test
b. Check the electrolyte in battery. Use a hydrometer to check the specific gravity.
The electrolyte level must be kept 1/4 inch (6.35 mm) above the plates in the battery.
DO NOT overfill the battery. The electrolyte should not overflow onto the battery cover when the
cell covers are placed over the cells.
(1) Remove cell covers and check electrolyte level. Add distilled water if the
level is below the top of plates.
(2) Check the specific gravity.
(3) If the specific gravity is between 1.250 and 1.280, the cells are ok. Notify
your supervisor of the problem.