Table 4-3. Troubleshooting Chart (Continued)
TEST OR INSPECTION
ENGINE OPERATES ERRATICALLY (Continued)
Step 1. Check fuel line and fuel.
BE ALERT to disconnect the ground cable from the battery before performing maintenance on the
fuel tank assembly. Spilled gasoline will catch fire from electrical sparks.
a. Remove fuel line from carburetor.
(1) Close fuel tank valve.
(2) Remove hose clamp from carburetor end of the fuel line. Pinch fuel line
together and remove it from carburetor.
(3) Place the end of fuel line in a clear glass container. Go to step lb.
Figure 4-57. Water and Gasoline Test
b. Drain gasoline from the tank into the glass container and check the gasoline for
(1) If the gasoline will not drain or drains slowly from fuel tank, go to step id.
(2) If gasoline drains well and there is no water in it, fuel is ok.
(3) If there is water in the gasoline, go to step 1c.