TEST OR INSPECTION
ENGINE LACKS POWER (Continued)
(3) Make sure battery ground connection is securely fastened.
(4) If there is any corrosion on battery or around terminals, rinse it off with a
baking soda and water solution.
(5) If there is dirt on top of battery, brush it off.
(6) If cable insulation is frayed or broken, replace cable and go to step 4b.
(7) If there are cracks in sides or cover of battery, replace it
Figure 4-55. Specific Gravity Test
b. Check electrolyte in battery. Use a hydrometer to check the specific gravity.
The electrolyte level must be kept above the plates in the battery.
DO NOT overfill the battery. The electrolyte should not overflow onto the battery cover when the
cell covers are placed over the cells.
Use distilled water or a good grade drinking water (excluding mineral water).
(1) Remove cell covers and check electrolyte level. Add distilled water if the
level is below the top of the plates. The level should be 1/4 of an inch (6.35
mm) above battery plates.
Change 1 4-49