Table 4-3. Troubleshooting Chart (Continued)
TEST OR INSPECTION
ENGINE DOES NOT START BUT IT TURNS OVER (Continued)
Figure 4-34. Spark Test
e. Remove belt guard and crank the engine over. As breaker points open and close,
a spark should jump between spark plug wire and engine.
(1) If there is a bright blue spark, go to step 4.
(2) If there is no spark, or the spark is weak and yellow, notify your supervisor of
Step 4. Check battery.
If the engine is sluggish or slow when cranking, the battery may be weak.
If the engine turns over fast when starting, the battery is ok. Go to step 5.
a. Check battery visually.
(1) Undo retainer strap and remove battery box cover.
(2) Make sure battery cables are securely fastened to battery. They should not
twist on terminals.
(3) Make sure the battery cables are securely fastened to base assembly and
(4) If there is any corrosion on battery or around terminals, rinse it off with a
baking soda and water solution.
(5) Clean any dirt or dust from the top of battery.
(6) If the cable insulation is frayed or cracked, replace the cable and go to step 4c.