Table 4-1. Organizational Preventive Maintenance Checks and Services (Continued)
M = Monthly
A/R = As Required
Q = Quarterly
H = Hourly
ITEM TO BE INSPECTED
NO. M A/R
BATTERY ASSEMBLY (Continued)
Figure 4-30. Specific Gravity Test
The electrolyte level must be kept above the plates in the battery.
DO NOT overfill the battery. The electrolyte should not overflow onto the battery
cover when the cell covers are placed over the cells.
(1) Remove the cell covers and check the electrolyte level. Add distilled water if the
level is below the top of the plates.
(2) Check the specific gravity.
(3) If the specific gravity is between 1.250 and 1.280, the cells are ok.
(4) If the specific gravity is between 1.225 and 1.250, the cells are still in fair
(5) If the specific gravity is below 1.150 in any one cell, replace the battery.
(6) If the specific gravity in one cell is more than 0.050 less than the other cells and
will not charge to more than a 50% charge, replace the battery.