BATTERY ASSEMBLY MAINTENANCE (Continued)
a. Remove and disassemble.
(1) Remove battery box cover.
(2) Disconnect battery cables from battery base assembly and start button.
(3) Remove hold down frame.
(4) Remove battery from battery box.
(5) Remove battery box from base assembly.
Figure 5-289. Battery Defects
b. Inspect and test battery.
(1) Check the battery visually.
(a) Make sure the battery cables are securely fastened to the battery. They should not twist on the
(b) Make sure the battery cables are securely fastened to the ground connection and start switch.
(c) If there is any corrosion on the battery or around the terminals, rinse it off with a baking soda and
(d) Clean any dirt or dust from the top of the battery.
(e) If the cable insulation is frayed or cracked, replace the cable.
(f) If there are cracks in the battery body, replace the battery.