Table 4-1. Organizational Preventive Maintenance Checks and Services (Continued)
M = Monthly
A/R = As Required
Q = Quarterly
H = Hourly
ITEM TO BE INSPECTED
NO. M Q/R Q
a. Make sure battery and battery box are securely fastened to base assembly.
Figure 4-29. Battery Inspection
b. Inspect battery visually.
(1) Undo retainer strap and remove battery box cover.
(2) Make sure the battery cables are tight on the terminals. They should not be able
to be moved by hand.
(3) Make sure the battery ground connection is securely fastened.
(4) If there is any corrosion on the battery or around the terminals, rinse it off with a
baking soda and water solution.
(5) If there is dirt on the top of the battery, brush it off.
(6) If the cable insulation is frayed or broken, replace the cable.
(7) If there are cracks in the sides or the cover of the battery, replace it.
c. Check the electrolyte in the battery.
Use a hydrometer to check the specific gravity.