type of structure available, the type offering the most protection against fire and pilferage will be
C. Storage of bombs with high explosive (HE) components. Bombs should be stored in
approved earth-covered magazines where possible.
D. Storage of separate-loading shells or projectiles. Separate-loading shells or projectiles
should be stored in earth-covered magazines where possible.
E. Storage of pyrotechnic items. Pyrotechnic items will be given preferential storage in
magazines which are well ventilated, dry, and in good repair.
10.19 Storage Aids
A. General. Ammunition should be stored and shipped palletized to effect a reduction in
handling time. For proper grounding of ammunition and explosives while in storage, reference
should be made to applicable publications of the appropriate military service. The following
methods of palletization are permitted when authorized by the appropriate military service in the
handling, storage, and shipping of ammunition:
1. Unstrapped pallets. Conventional double-faced pallets.
2. Short dunnage. Short dunnage of varying lengths used as horizontal dunnage in lieu of
pallets and where authorized by the appropriate military service drawings.
3. Palletized unit loads. Applies to an assemblage of a particular commodity, packaged or
unpackaged, or strapped or tied together in a bundle. When a unit load is strapped or fastened to
a pallet, it becomes a "palletized unit load." This method is commonly employed for the storage
and shipment of separate-loading shells or projectiles and should be used to the maximum extent
possible for storage and shipment of other items.
B. Box Pallets
1. Small quantities of ammunition may be retained in box pallet storage to meet current issue
2. Box pallets may be used for storage of irregular-shaped, hard to stack and crushable items
such as container packed items, fiber containers, bagged goods, loose small items, etc.
1. Dunnage should be placed beneath the first layer of ammunition or explosives to keep the
specified on agency storage drawings, sketches, and/or narratives.