(3) Apply sealing compound (item 4, table
separate bottom case assembly (2) from detec-
ll) to threads of screw (33).
tor unit assembly (1).
(4) Insert screw (33) through chain and
counterclockwise and swing bail away from de-
secure to end of plug (32).
tector cell (37).
Do not twist or exert excessive side
motion to detector cell during removal,
or detector cell ports may be broken and
left in the chassis assembly.
If pliers are needed to loosen air intake
(3) While rocking detector cell (37) gently,
assembly (14), cover jaws of pliers with
pull it directly from the chassis assembly (36).
cloth or tape to avoid damage to the
(4) Pinch sides of L-shaped springs to-
gether and remove bail (38 ) from chassis as-
(1) Unscrew air intake assembly (14) coun-
terclockwise and lift from case top assembly (45).
(2) Using a sharp tool, lift preformed pack-
ing (26) from threaded end of housing (21).
(1) Pinch sides of V-shaped springs on re-
(3) Remove thumbscrew assembly (15)
placement bail (38) together and insert the ends
from cover (19) by turning plug (17) counter-
of the springs into the holes in the chassis as-
clockwise. Remove leash (16) from cover (19 )
and plug (17).
(2) Dampen the outside of the two detec-
(4) Remove preformed packing (18) from
tor cell ports with a few drops of water.
threaded end of plug ( 17).
(3) Position the detector cell (37) so that
( 5 ) With air intake assembly (14) in
its ports are alined with their corresponding
closed position, remove retaining ring (25) from
fittings in the chassis assembly (36). Press de-
base of cover (19).
tector cell into place in the chassis assembly.
(6) Separate cover (19) from housing (21)
(4) Center bail (38) on the bottom of de-
using care to avoid loosing washer (22), spring
tector cell (37) and turn lobed nut clockwise
(23), and washer (24).
until it is fingertight.
(7) Remove preformed packing (20).
(5) Replace detector unit assembly (1, fig.
in bottom case
assembly (2) and secure
four catches (10).
(1) Press replacement preformed packing
(20) into cover (19).
Air Filter Plug
(2) Place cover (19) into housing (21).
While holding housing (21) upside down, place
washer (22 ), spring (23), and washer (24) into
the base of the intake housing.
(3) Secure cover (19) in place inside hous-
(1) Remove screw (33) from plug (32) to
ing (21 ) with retaining ring (25).
(4) Place preformed packing (26) over
(2) Unscrew plug (32) from case top as-
threaded end of housing (21).
(5) Place preformed packing (18) over
(3) Using a sharp tool, lift preformed pack-
threaded end of plug (17).
ing (31 ) from groove in air filter port.
(6) Attach large loop of leash (16) over
top of cover (19). Secure plug (17) in cover
(1) Press preformed packing (31 ) into
(19). Attach small loop of leash (16) on plug
groove in air filter port.
(2) Screw plug (32) into case top assem-
(7) Screw air intake assembly (14) into
case top assembly (45).