(6) Electrical parts, coil connectors, switches, and wiring using insulating materials should not be
soaked or sprayed with cleaning solutions. Clean these parts with a lint free cloth moistened in dry cleaning solvent,
Federal Specification P-D-630.
General Inspection Instructions.
(1) Examine bearings for rusted or pitted balls, races or separator. Examine balls for abrasion,
serious discoloration, or misshaping. Replace bearings for the following reasons:
Cuts or grooves parallel to bearing rotation.
Check for physical distortion, wear, cracks and pitting. Clean all parts before inspection.
(3) Remove crankcase, drain plugs, and check the sediment that sticks to the plug. Grit and fine
metal particles indicate potential equipment failure. This inspection is good for determining the condition of internal
(4) Check all hoses for broken, cracked or frayed material. Check for breaks or chafing next to
metal fittings. Inspect the fitting threads for damage. Replace all damaged parts. After reassembly and initial operation,
check fittings for leaks.
Inspect belts for cracks or fraying.
Check all welded joints for cracks and leaks.
(7) Inspect the hose harness for chafing or burning.
Inspect all terminal connectors for loose
connections and broken parts.
(1) Exterior painted parts may be touched-up where paint is damaged. Follow instructions of TM 43-
0139, Painting Instructions for Field Use.
Replace all broken, worn, or burned electrical wiring.
(3) Replace all broken, cracked, or frayed hoses. Replace fittings if threads are stripped. If a hose
is damaged, replace the entire harness.
Replace bolts, nuts, screws, or fittings that have stripped threads.
Replace worn, cracked, or frayed belts.
f. General Reassembly.
Remove protective grease coatings from new parts before installation.
(2) Replace all O-rings, clean groove, then stretch O-ring into position. Coat the O-ring lightly with
the fluid it will operate in.
(3) Install oil seals with seal lip facing the correct direction. Apply an even force to the outer edges
of seal when installing it.
Lubricate bearings before installing them.