(6) Electrical parts, coil connectors, switches, and wiring using insulating materials should not be soaked or
sprayed with cleaning solutions. Clean these parts with a lint-free cloth moistened in dry cleaning solvent, Federal
d. General Inspection Instructions.
(1) Examine bearings for rusted or pitted balls, races, or separator.
Examine balls for abrasion, serious
discoloration, or misshaping. Replace bearings for the following reasons:
(a) Cuts or grooves parallel to bearing rotation.
(b) Bad pits.
Check for physical distortion, wear, cracks and pitting. Clean all parts before inspection.
(3) Remove crankcase drain plugs and check the sediment that sticks to the plug. Grit and fine metal particles
indicate potential equipment failure. This inspection is good for determining the condition of internal parts.
(4) Check all hoses for broken, cracked or frayed material. Check for breaks or chafing next to metal fittings.
Inspect the fitting threads for damage. Replace all damaged parts. After reassembly and initial operation, check fittings
Inspect belts for cracks or fraying.
Check all welded joints for cracks and/or leaks.
(7) Inspect the hose harness for chafing or burning. Inspect all terminal connectors for loose connections and/or
e. General Repair.
(1) Exterior painted parts may be touched-up where paint is damaged. Follow instructions of TM 43-0139,
Painting Instructions for Field use.
Replace all broken, worn or burned electrical wiring.
(3) Replace all broken, cracked or frayed hoses. Replace fittings if threads are stripped. If a hose is damaged,
replace the entire harness.
Replace bolts, nuts, screws and fittings that have stripped threads.
Replace worn, cracked or frayed belts.
Remove protective grease coatings from new parts before installation.
(2) Replace all O-rings. Clean groove, then stretch O-ring into position. Coat the O-ring lightly with the fluid it
will operate in.
(3) Install oil seals with seal lip facing the correct direction. Apply an even force to the outer edges of seal when
Lubricate bearings before installing them.