* Determine if "Limited Quantity"
Column 8a, Exceptions Apply
You observe - Fiberboard box with
12 - l Liter containers inside the package.
Turn to Section 173.150 noted in Column 8a.
* Read Section 173.150
Does any provision of Section 173.150 coincide
with the configuration you observed?
173.150 Exceptions for Class 3 (flammable and combustible liquids)
(b) Limited quantities. Limited quantities of flammable liquids (Class 3)
are excepted from labeling requirements, unless offered for transportation or
transported by aircraft, and the specification packaging requirements of
this subchapter when packaged in combination packagings according to this paragraph.
In addition, shipments of limited quantities are not subject to subpart F (Placarding)
of part 172 of this subchapter. Each package must conform to the packaging
requirements of subpart B of this part and may not exceed 30 kg (66 pounds)
gross weight. The following packagings are authorized:
(1) For flammable liquids in Packing Group I, inner packaging not over
0.5 L (00.1 gallon) net capacity each, packed in strong outer packagings;
(2) For flammable liquids in Packing Group II, inner packagings not over
1.0 L (0.3 gallon) net capacity each, packed in strong outer packagings; and
(3) For flammable liquids in Packing Group III, inner packagings not over
5.0 L (1 gallon) net capacity each, packed in strong outer packagings.
* This is a "Limited Quantity" package, and, as such, it is excepted from specification
packaging requirements which are referred to in column 8b (173.202) of the Hazardous
Material Table. Limited Quantity packages being shipped by air are not excepted from
labeling as indicated in 173.150(b).
* If packaging configuration does not meet the requirements outlined in the
"Limited Quantity" section, read across to column 8b as shown below.
* See columns 9a and 9b for additional air shipment requirements.