7. Fire extinguishers containing a compressed gas will be stored in the compressed gas area
according to the assigned HCC.
B. Hazard Considerations. Cylinders may contain poisonous, flammable, corrosive, reactive,
oxidizing, or other hazardous materials. Many cylinders are filled with hazardous and
nonhazardous gases under moderately or extremely high pressures. The prolonged storage of
cylinders at temperatures in excess of 125oF., may also cause leakage, distortion, failure of safety
release devices, or explosion. Care must be exercised to ensure that unprotected valve outlets are
not physically damaged during storage and handling.
C. Basic Requirements.
1. All storage facilities for compressed gases should be separated from other buildings by at
least 50 feet. Compressed gases should be stored in roofed, open-sided sheds on an above-grade
concrete slab if climatic conditions are favorable and security precautions are adequate. Sheds
should be constructed of light, noncombustible materials. Cylinders of flammable gases and
gases that support combustion must be stored in separate sheds with a distance of at least 50 feet
between sheds or by an approved firewall or fire barrier. The storage arrangement should protect
the cylinders from direct exposure to sunlight.
2. An enclosed storage facility, if used, should be a single story detached, compressed gas
warehouse or cutoff area within a general purpose warehouse modified for the storage of
compressed gases. It should include the protective features for hazardous materials storage
identified by the reference cited in paragraph 4.7. In addition, consideration should be given to
the recommendations identified for the specific hazards associated with each cylinder (e.g.,
paragraph 4.10; and oxidizers - paragraph 4.11 outlined under each type of hazardous materials
storage in this chapter.
3. To assure complete identification, compressed gas cylinders should be tagged/labeled with
the stock number for the full cylinder and the stock number for the empty cylinder.
D. Applicable HCCs. The following HCCs should be stored in storage type G:
1. G1, Gas, Poison (Nonflammable).
2. G2, Gas, Flammable.
3. G3, Gas, Nonflammable.
4. G4, Gas, Nonflammable, Oxidizer.
5. G5, Gas, Nonflammable, Corrosive.
6. G6, Gas, Poison, Corrosive (Nonflammable).
7. G7, Gas, Poison, Oxidizer (Nonflammable).