AFMAN 24-204(I)/TM 38-250/NAVSUP PUB 505/MCO P4030.19H/ DLAI 4145.3
11 DECEMBER 2001
neutralizing power of an amount of magnesium carbonate equal to 1 percent of the nitroglycerin or other
liquid explosive ingredient.
- High explosive cartridges consist of a column of explosives completely enclosed in a shell made of strong
paper or polyethylene or a combination of paper and polyethylene, treated so that it will not absorb the liquid
ingredient of the explosive.
- High explosive packaged bags made of strong paper of equally efficient material so treated or of such nature
that it will not absorb the liquid ingredient of the explosive.
- High explosives packed in boxes which must be lined with strong, paraffined paper or other suitable material.
The lining must be without joints or other openings or with cemented joints at the bottom, ends, or sides of
the boxes. For explosives with liquid ingredients, the lining must be impervious to such ingredients and also
to water. Box covers must be protected from contact with explosives by lining paper or other suitable
- Gelatine explosives in cartridges or bags must also have dry fine wood pulp or sawdust at least ¼ of an inch
in depth spread over the bottom of the box or the bottom of the box may have a full area pad formed of an
absorptive cellulose sheet which has a nitroglycerin absorptive value equivalent to sawdust as specified.
Similar materials are required in boxes for packing all non-gelatinous types of explosives containing 30
percent or more of liquid explosive ingredient.
- Except for high explosive (gelatin dynamite) in cartridges, all cartridges of high explosives exceeding 4
inches in length and containing more than 10 percent of a liquid explosive ingredient must be placed
horizontally in boxes. Pack bags with their filling holes up.
- Prevent movement of high explosives contained in cartridges and bags within the boxes by sufficiently tight
- High explosive (dynamite), except gelatin dynamite, packed in bags or in cartridges over 2 inches in diameter
and containing not more than 30 percent liquid explosive ingredients may be packed in outside containers
without sawdust and without lining paper, provided each inside or outside container is siftproof and is treated
to prevent penetration by the commodity with which the container is filled for shipping.
A27.18.1. Liquid High Explosives Must Be Packed In DOT 15L wooden boxes and DOT 15M wooden boxes. The
inside metal containers in the DOT 15M containers cannot contain more than 10 quarts of liquid explosives each.
A27.18.2. High Explosives with Liquid Explosive Ingredients.
A220.127.116.11. Package high explosives (dynamite) containing no more than 30 percent liquid explosive ingredients in
the following specification containers.
A18.104.22.168.1. Fiberboard boxes, DOT 23G, with no more than one cartridge in each box. The gross weight of the
boxes must not be over 65 pounds.
A22.214.171.124.2. Wooden boxes, DOT 14, 15A, 16A, 19B or fiberboard boxes, DOT 12H, 23F, or 23H with inside
containers, which must be cartridges or bags. Inside cartridges must not be more than 12 inches in diameter by 36
inches in length or 50 pounds gross weight. Inside bags not over 50 pounds must be securely closed to prevent
leakage of contents. The gross weight of wooden boxes must not be over 75 pounds and the gross weight of
fiberboard boxes must not be more than 65 pounds.
A126.96.36.199.3. Fiberboard boxes, DOT 23F or 23H, having one inside 26-gauge metal container, measuring not over
8 inches in diameter and 31 inches in length, containing high explosives (ammonium dynamite core) surrounded by
a blasting agent. Gross weight must not be more than 65 pounds.
A188.8.131.52. High explosives (dynamite) containing 10 percent or less of a liquid ingredient must be prepared for
shipment as follows:
A184.108.40.206.1. Packed in DOT 14, 15A, 16A, or 19B wooden boxes or in DOT 12H, 23F, or 23H fiberboard boxes.
The gross weight must not be more than 140 pounds.
A220.127.116.11.2. Fiberboard boxes, DOT 23G, with no more than one cartridge in each box. The gross weight of the
box must not exceed 65 pounds.
A18.104.22.168. Pack high explosives (dynamite) containing more than 30 percent liquid explosive ingredients in
specification containers as follows:
A22.214.171.124.1. Wooden boxes (maximum gross weight 75 pounds), DOT 14, 15A, 16A, or 19B or fiberboard boxes,
DOT 12H, 23F, or 23H, with inside containers that consist of:
- Cartridges not over 4 inches in diameter and not over 8 inches in length.
- Cartridges having a diameter of 4 to 5 inches and between 8 and 10 inches in length must be redipped in
melted paraffin or equivalent material.