AFMAN 24-204(I)/TM 38-250/NAVSUP PUB 505/MCO P4030.19H/ DLAI 4145.3
11 NOVEMBER 2001
Key 16. Quantity and Type of Packing.
- Nonradioactive shipments enter:
- The number of packages (of same type and content) and their type of packaging.
- Type of packaging listed in this key is the authorized packaging identified in the packaging
paragraph. Identify the type of packaging by specification code or text description of the outer
packaging. For example: fiberboard box or 4G; metal drum or 1A2; DOT 3A or cylinder.
- For specifically named self-propelled vehicle and mechanical apparatus enter nomenclature or
basic description of the item (i.e., truck, generator, etc.).
The weight, volume, or other applicable measure of the actual hazardous material (per package).
- Do not include any nonhazardous content of the shipment.
- Enter the net quantity in metric measurement units. The equivalent English unit of measure may
be entered in parenthesis immediately following the metric unit.
- Show the quantity immediately following the number and type of package (i.e., 2 wooden boxes x
4.5 kg (10 pounds); 1 4G x 5 L (1.3 gallons)).
- For explosives enter the "Net Explosive Weight (NEW)" in metric weight per package or per
warehouse pallet or skid (i.e., 3 wooden boxes x 120 kg (264.6 pounds) NEW; 5 metal boxes x
200 kg (441 pounds) NEW). Entry of pounds in association with metric weight is preferred but
- Express in kilograms (pounds), not pounds per square inch, the quantity of compressed gas unless
otherwise specified in this instruction. When certifying to A6.3 Small Receptacles Containing
Compressed Gases, A6.8 Fire Extinguishers, A6.10 Cigarette Lighter or Other Similar Devices
Charged with Fuel, and A13.4 Consumer Commodity (Aerosols) other units of measure; (i.e., fluid
ounces, gallons, or ounces) are specified and may be shown on this form. See also A26.4.
- When an overpack is used for handling purposes, enter the words Overpack Used. Identify the
number of overpacks if more than one is used.
- For magnetized material, enter the number and type of packaging. No entry for net quantity is
required. Weight or size of container is optional.
- Radioactive shipments enter:
Name or symbol of the radionuclide in the material.
Description of the physical and chemical form of the material, if it is not in special form (generic
chemical description is acceptable for chemical form). If special form, enter "Special Form."
The number of packages (of same type and content), the type of package, and the activity contained in
each package in terms of Becquerel or Terabecquerel. The equivalent customary unit of measure (i.e.,
Ci, mCi, or uCi) may be included in parenthesis.
Key 17. Packaging Instructions.
- Nonradioactive shipments enter:
The packaging paragraph used to prepare the material for shipment.
If the packaging has been approved by a DOT-Exemption, CAA, COE, or waiver cite the approval
number (i.e., AFMC 24-204-96-09; COE NA-84-505; DOT-E 3849; etc.)
If a UN packaging specification certified package is overpacked to meet air eligibility requirements,
cite A3.2.3 and the applicable packaging paragraph for the material. Cite the applicable packaging
paragraph for the material when packing inner containers into a 1A2 drum to meet air eligible and UN
specification configuration requirements.
- Radioactive shipments enter (see figure A17.2, steps 5 and 6 for assistance):
- Packaging paragraph used to prepare the material for shipment.
- Category of the package (i.e., white-I, yellow-II, or yellow-III).