Testing Operating Voltages and Compensating For Conduit Wire Voltage Drops (continued)
4. If detector is a single detector operating from a control unit, or detector 1 of 2 (connected to DET 1
terminals)of CD800/830 system: Clip + lead of 0-10V range DC voltmeter to socket adapter
terminal A and-lead of volt- meter to adapter terminal R (For detector 800-086 or 0023-7317 only:
Clip + voltmeter lead to adapter terminal A and-lead to adapter terminal Z).
To test voltage of detector 2 where used with CD800/830 systems (detector connected to DET 2
terminals of control unit): Clip + voltmeter lead to socket adapter terminal R and-voltmeter lead to
adapter terminal A (For detector 800-086 or 0023-7317 only: + voltmeter lead to socket adapter
terminal Z and-lead to adapter terminal A).
5. Turn power off and gain access to CD830/832 unit potentiometer adjustment screws as follows:
Remove control unit from rack or cabinet and insert Circuit Card Extender #0023-4023 into
rear terminal block. (Some models provide access to adjustment controls without use of card
Plug control unit into circuit card extender. (Card extender prevents any remote annunciation
from operating during test or maintenance of the controller.)
6. Push PILOT ON/OFF pushbutton on control module front panel to switch power on (green PILOT
7. Using small screwdriver, adjust screw of VOLT potentiometer R2 on control module circuit board to
obtain a reading of exactly 5.5 Volt (6.0 Volt for Natural Gas or Methane) on voltmeter clipped to
detector test socket adapter terminals. Clockwise rotation of adjustment screw increases voltage.
With two detectors operating from one control unit, it may be necessary to compromise in voltage
setting, with one operating slightly above, the other slightly below recommended setting. The best
performance, however, both should be within 0.05 volts of median recommended voltage.
8. Depress PILOT ON/OFF pushbutton on control module front panel to turn power off.
9. Remove test socket adapter from detector sensor socket and replace sensor element socket.
10. Reassemble detector, tightening all parts securely. (But do not at this point reinstall duct mounting
detector #0023-4014 in duct.)